Monday, August 27, 2012

The best dry Rubs and Mops

     Many people ask me about Dry Rubs and Mops. The questions I get often are, "Do you season all sides of the meat?" and "What is the best brand to use?" or, "How long should I cook it for?" lets not forget, "What is a Mop?" That one usually comes with a wrinkled nose and scrunched eyebrows. So lets tackle these questions one by one.

     "Do you season all sides of the meat?" Yes I do! Weather it is grilling or slow smoking I want that meat to be full of flavor, but not over powering! This takes practice, you need to know what you are cooking with. Gas, Coal, or Wood? If I am doing burgers, steaks, chicken, fish, hot dogs, veggies or something else that cooks quick I like to use the gas grill. If I am cooking something that needs several hours like, a Pork Shoulder, Ribs, half a Chicken, Beef Brisket, or slow smoked Salmon I like to use wood. For my base I like to use Cowboy Charcoal 16488 Hardwood Lump Charcoal, 8.8-Pound this gives your meat that nice natural woody flavor and it is easy to get started. For my smoke flavors I like to use different types depending on the meat type. For Fish and Pork I like to use either Weber 17004 Apple Wood Chips, 3-Pound or (Mainly ribs and pork shoulders)Char-Broil 2184767 Mesquite Wood Chunks, 5-Pound Bag.
For beef and chicken I like to use Char-Broil 2184766 Hickory Wood Chunks, 5-Pound Bag. Some people ask me about whiskey flavored wood chunks. I find it to be cheaper to just head to the local store and buy a bottle of your favorite whiskey and instead of soaking your wood chunks in water, soak them in a little bit of whiskey (Since I am in the USA, this is for those of us who are 21 years of age or older ONLY).

     "What is the best brand to use?" Again it is all about your own personal tastes. I like to use the following:

 Not every one is a fan of premixed seasoning, but the stuff listed above is awesome and I use it all!

     "How long should I cook it for?" There is a rule of thumb and you must do your best to follow it if you are doing a large cut of meat like a pork shoulder or a beef brisket. An hour and a half of cooking time per pound. Your temp for low and slow should be steady around 250 to 270 and try not to go over 300. Remember real BBQ is never and I mean NEVER wrapped in tin foil! You are here to BBQ your meat not steam or boil it! When your meat is at it half way point for cooking time it is time to start "Moping".

     "What is a Mop?" The term came from the popular tool used to baste large cuts of meat. Thats right, when you go to any major BBQ competition you will see some people using kitchen mops to apply their secret marinade to their large cuts of meat. The video below is a good starting point for any one who wants to make their own mop. I used this as abase for my last pork shoulder and added some things to make it more to how I wanted it.

     So there you have it! Now its time to go out and select a nice cut of meat and some veggies to match! Even if this is your first time just remember to not rush! Low and slow is always a good call if your aim is tender and juicy BBQ meat. So invite some friends and be sure to enjoy some 
Moxie Soda 12 oz 6 pack 4/6pks!!! This goes best with brisket!!!

-Case




Shop Epicurious logo

No comments:

Post a Comment