Monday, April 18, 2011

Is it just me? Or do you smell charcoal too?!?!

     Yes folks grilling season is here!! But then again for me even if there is 4 feet of snow on the ground my grill is never closed! Just after SNOWMAGEDDON I snagged my bag of Mesquite wood chips, my smoker box, and two full racks of pork spear ribs. One rack I just used a dry rub by Chef Emeril Lagasse along with a little bit of garlic powder and onion powder and after about 4 hours low and slow on the grill I basted it with some Sweet Baby Rays Honey BBQ!
     The second rib I used the same seasoning but added a bit of a kick! Tap Master got me a gift last Christmas called Pirates Bite its a blend of Bird's Eye, Habanero, Scotch Bonnet, Datil, Chipotle, Cayenne, Peppercorns, Sea Salt, Coriander, Cumin, and Fennel, just a little sprinkle to each side will do ya! After about 4 hours low and slow on the grill I grabbed the BBQ sauce that was in a bottle shaped like a Fire Hydrant from a little place around here called Firehouse Subs. Basted the rib and after about 5 hours the ribs were at temp and done. My grill runs a little hot so the temp was around 290.
     Sweet Mesquite and Hot with a pinch of sweet! I do not boil my ribs EVER! These babies were so tender and so tasty! Yeah I'm tooting my own horn but I'm telling ya they were awesome! Now I didn't wake up one day and say, "Man I'm gonna smoke some ribs and it will be good!" No! I planned my attack! I went to the local book store and one book really stood out to me. Bobby Flays book Boy Meets Grill. I read that bad boy cover to cover trying to envision the way I would do it. Next up for my plan of attach is a Black Angus Brisket and my new smoker!
     So what plans do you have for your grill this season? Have any tips on keeping the item of choice juicy and tender? Maybe your a meat free kind of person and have some more healthy options you want to share? Let us know by commenting here or sending us a personal message at charmcitysportspodcast@gmail.com and we will share your ideas in our next PodCast!

Take care and good vibes!

-Case Rocker

3 comments:

  1. I've yet to do much of smoker work myself. I do enjoy grilling though. Summertime as far as healthy goes, I love to do fish or portabella mushrooms on the grill. The thicker types of fish, your swordfish, mahi mahi, salmon. I found a good one down in Florida called amberjack which wasn't too bad. And they had some red snapper which was absolutely amazing. Some fresh lemon and dill for garnish and your set on the fish. For the mushrooms, I just like to do sandwiches with them. Grill them up and get a nice big tomato and slice it. Put a slice on the shroom with some provolone and throw that on a nice kaiser roll with some lettuce and thin sliced red onion. Yessir, good times and good eatin for sure!

    Tap Master

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Thought I would jump into the conversation and add some local beverage suggestions. I have really been enjoying the Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA. I think with the sweet BBQ sauce the sharp acidity of this beer would be perfect.
    To go with the fish, I was thinking about a bottle of Boordy Riesling from their Icons of Maryland series. I imagine this wine, which has hints of citrus and apricots, with the fish and a fruit salsa on top.
    Speaking of fruit salsa… I have been searching for the perfect recipe. My ideal recipe would have a strong savory note to hold up against grilled fish. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For grilled fish I like a nice contrast. But a complimentary one! I prefer something with a good fruity flavor like a Moscato. As for Salsa I had a really nice Mango Salsa with some fresh caught Cod last summer when some one said "Mango Salsa" and Cod at first I was like no way! But I gave it a chance and it blew me away! In Bobby Flay's book Boy Meets Grill he has some really good fruit based toping for meat and fish. I will try to link to the book on Amazon.com on here now that they are a sponsor of this blog!

    ReplyDelete