Friday, April 15, 2011

NHL Team in Baltimore!

So today as I am driving into work I decide to turn on one of the local sports stations. As I tune in they are ending the segment talking about how disgusting it is that so many NFL Draft prospects are getting arrested for drugs and running from cops. As they end the segment they mention an NHL exhibition game between the Washington Capitals and the Nashville Predators at the First Mariner Arena in Baltimore on September 20th! Tickets go on sale to the general public on Saturday April 15th at 10:00 AM. I could not believe what I had just heard! Why has this not been bigger news?! As I get ready for work in the morning I like to watch local news so I am informed on what is going on in my local Baltimore area. Granted I grew up in NH and Hockey is in my blood, but come on!!! An NHL game being played in BALTIMORE is a really big deal!!! Heck even an NBA game being played in Baltimore would be a big deal! If some one could bring either of the missing pro sports to Baltimore they would make loads of cash hands down! Baltimore wants them! But NHL or AHL Hockey would really rock our socks! 


Let us know what you think! Would you want hockey in Baltimore and would you support it?!  E-mail us at CharmCitySportsPodCast@gmail.com


-Case Rocker and Tap Master

3 comments:

  1. Just for the record Tap Master is the AHL fan.

    I think there are more than enough "Small Towns" in this area that have and can support small time Hockey. If its not an NHL or NBA team in Baltimore then your just wasting every ones time.

    -Case Rocker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my two cents. I think there are alot of NHL teams already around here. Now...yes, it would be nice to see the NHL in Baltimore. But, I don't believe it'd happen for several reasons. You'd already be splitting fans from Philadelphia, New Jersey, and Washington. The league would look at expanding elsewhere first I think...which I don't necessarily agree with but they want to explore other markets. The other thing is can Baltimore support a third major professional team? If its an 18,000 set arena...I say no. I just don't think the passion is there to sell out something like that right now.
    What I am thinking would work is possibly bring in an AHL team or relocate one to here. Don't put it in the city, build a nice arena out in Baltimore County. Its a huge county with some very nice places. Why not expand a little and try for some growth? It would still be considered Baltimore. As nice as the Inner Harbor is, I think there is plenty there already to do. So why not try for an arena on the outskirts, maybe over around Hunt Valley or Owings Mills? Put in a 13k-14k seat arena and be profitable with an AHL team. I think you'll find more hockey fans on the outskirts than you would in the city as well. But it just comes down to knowing the market, the area...and who your audience is. Right now, this is a football town. To bring in hockey, you'd have to do a boatload of marketing and really reach out to the community before it became a reality.

    Tap Master

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I said before this area already has more than enough AHL type teams. I have had my fill of AHL and am tired of it. There are a lot of people who are interested in bringing an NHL team to Baltimore. The perfect spot for a new arena would be the Owings Mills area. NHL is a brand that sells it self, AHL you really have to work and spend millions to get people interested. Small league teams do not make money in Baltimore just ask the people who have tried to make it exciting but no one ever showed. There are a lot of people who live on and around the PA and MD border who would gladly support an NHL team. But the attendance numbers to the Baltimore Classic on September 20th will tell the NHL what kind of future an NHL team would have in Baltimore. There is no reason Baltimore can not have 4 big league teams.

    -Case Rocker

    ReplyDelete