Thursday, January 5, 2012

NFL Post Season Grilling!

What will you be slapping on the grill this NLF Playoff season? Last weekend the wife and I decided it was a good weekend to fire up the smoker for the first time this winter. We went with a nice Black Angus Brisket from our freezer. The grill I use is the Brinkmann Smoke N' Grill Charcoal Smoker.


I really like the natural flavor you can get when using all wood charcoal. I don't have a lot of space for one of those big fancy smoker grills you see on the food network.

A book I picked up over the Christmas break was Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook.

This book is full of really good ideas and one of his biggest points about BBQ is, 'how do YOU want the meat to taste?' So I have done just that. Let the Brisket thaw, and collect the seasoning I want for the marinade. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Grill Mates Cowboy Rub, and some hot pepper mix Greg got me called Pirates Bite. Seasoned all sides and they the Brisket sit all night covered in the fridge.
Seasoned Brisket ready to sit over-night.


One thing I do that is a little different is sear both sides of the meat to lock in the flavor. SEAR THE MEAT?!?!? you ask? Yes I set my gas grill to sear which is close to 500 degrees. I sear both sides for under 10 seconds each. Then I wrap it in foil, but before I seal it any left over seasoning / marinade that is in the pan is scraped out and put into the foil with the Brisket. By now the smoker is to temp and ready for this fine slab of meat! This size Brisket only took about 4 hours in the smoker. Once you close the lid do not open the lid at all!! Let the meat sit and allow the low heat to do its work! Between 175 and 180 is where you want the meat temp to be.
175 - 180 is when your Brisket is done!

It is important to allow your meat to rest for a few minutes. 6 Minutes is nice amount of time for meat resting, also never slice your Brisket or any meat until you are going to serve it! If you slice your meat too early it will cause it to dry out and not taste tender and juicy. Below is the final result before we sliced and served.

The small fork belongs to our 3 year old daughter who just loves daddy's grillin'!



Let us know what you have planned for the grill this NFL Playoff Season! You can either comment here or let us know in an e-mail to charmcitysportspodcast@gmail.com Greg and I would love to hear from you!

Peace and good vibes!

-Mike





No comments:

Post a Comment